Stereotactic CT-guided microwave ablation of a large HCC by 3 projected overlapping ablation zones
Name: PD Dr. med. Anja Lachenmayer & Dr. med. Carlo Tappero
Institution: Inselspital, Bern, Switzerland
Patient age and sex: 79 years, female
- Single HCC suspicious lesion in a NASH patient with multiple co-morbidities.
- Due to age and co-morbidities no resection or transplantation possible.
- BCLC A, Child-Pugh B
- Increasing size over time, 35 mm at the time of intervention
- AFP 42.5 IU/ml
Treatment: Minimal invasive percutaneous stereotactic CT-guided biopsy and microwave ablation of a single HCC
Conclusion: Successful and complete ablation achieved by the planning of 3 overlapping ablation zones in a conventionally unablatable liver lesion (due to close proximity to vasculature, location in the liver dome and size) and unresectable (due to co-morbidities of the patient) lesion.
1. Axial view of 3 overlapping ablation zones (green), with tumor segmentation (red)
2. Needle view of 3 overlapping ablation zones (green), and tumor segmentation (red)
3. Needle navigation procedure with CAS-One IR
4. Validation of the ablation zone, with tumor segmentation MPR view
5. Validation of the ablation zone, with tumor segmentation needle view
Receive monthly CAScination Cases updates? Subscribe to our newsletter.